Please read the requirements first before applying. The initial testing period is scheduled to last three years. You keep the router after 3 years.The Requirements:
- You have a fixed line broadband Internet connection to your residence.
- You use a standalone device to connect to your broadband service - i.e not a USB ADSL modem.
- You have a stable broadband connection (i.e. it doesn't disconnect frequently). Note that this is just referring to the connection - not the speed.
- You are not a heavy downloader. Our tests can only run when your line below a certain traffic threshold, therefore we would not be able to run any tests if your line is in constant use.
- You have a spare power socket near your existing router (or wherever you plan to connect the unit. Keep in mind that a network cable must run between the unit and your router though! We supply a 1m cable).
- You need to be on one of the ISPs that we're measuring.
- You are not an employee or a family member of an employee of one of the ISPs being monitored.
In addition, they ask you to agree:
- Not to unplug the unit or your ISP's router unless I'm away for an extended period of time.
- Not attempt to reverse engineer or alter the unit.
- To notify Samknows if and when I choose to change ISPs.
- To return the unit to Samknows should I no longer wish to be involved (Samknows to pay reasonable postage costs).
- To connect the unit in the way described in the documentation.
- To keep Samknows updated with valid contact details (i.e. email and postal address).
Check their FAQ page
for more information.
UPDATE 8/2: They are still looking for volunteers, and in return volunteers will get a free router. (Thanks Cindy)